RSS

Cooking Chicken For Two

While the kids were growing up, I often found myself cooking for five or more on any given day. Today, the kids are often not home at dinner time and I find myself cooking for two quite often. I'd like to share a few recipes that are just enough for two people.

Living in California, avocados are a part of our daily life. I remember reading a comment someone wrote about California after they had visited our great state. They said "I don't think I ever saw a menu that didn't have avocado on it." So, I'd like to share an avocado chicken recipe, just right for two people:

1 whole chicken breast or 2 half chicken breasts
1 small avocado - ripe
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup white wine
¼ cup flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon tarragon
¼ teaspoon salt

In a bowl, mix the salt, pepper and flour. Roll the chicken in this mixture to coat. Coat a skillet in vegetable oil. Heat the chicken in the skilled about ten minutes, turning to brown both sides. Mix the remaining herbs together and sprinkle on the chicken. Add in the butter and wine and bring to a boil and then simmer about five minutes. Place avocado slices on top of the chicken. Baste with juices from the skillet. Cover and heat until chicken is cooked through.

I will sometimes omit the herbs and instead add in orange juice and orange zest to give the chicken a citrus flavor instead of an herb flavor. When you do this, add a few orange slices on top of the chicken. I also love paremesan chicken. I finally got the measurements to make enough coating for one large or two small chicken breasts:

1 egg
3 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 tablespoon oil

I like to use Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs. It's a different taste, almost buttery. I suggest fresh parmesan as the taste is stronger. If I have packaged cheese at home, I will use it, but then I'll sprinkle some on top at the end to add more cheese flavor to the chicken.

To make this dish, beat the egg and then dip the chicken in the egg. Mix together the parmesan cheese and bread/cracker crumbs. Roll the chicken in the crumbs. Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the chicken, flipping to brown both sides. Make the sure the chicken is cooked through.

You can also bake this chicken. I bake it about forty-five minutes at 350 degrees. You can adapt most chicken recipes to serve two. Often it just requires cutting a recipe in half. The above two recipes work perfectly for the one large or two small chicken breasts.

Cast Iron Cookware Sets Finishing Sander Ninja Costumes